top of page

National Three Peaks in 24 hours...done!

Three Peaks in 24 Hours 5-6th June 2021

Start time Ben Nevis: 5:06am

Finish time Snowdon: 3:59am

Total time: 22 hours 53 mins

Sleep time: 3 hours

Travel time: 10 hours - 462 miles

Ascent: 11178ft / 3407.054m

Distance: 23.2 miles

Steps: 74,000 plus….

Stoma bags: 2

Blisters: None (Charlotte had one…on her thumb from walking poles)

Like many people, I have heard of the National Three Peaks 24 Hour Challenge, walking the highest Peak in each Country in 24 hours – starting with Ben Nevis in Scotland, followed by Scafell Pike in England and ending with Snowdon in Wales. I’ve often wondered what it would be like to do, so late last year I decided I would organise a group to give it a go. My first group all dropped out during the winter, but by sheer good fortune my friend Charlotte Watson contacted me to ask whether I was still planning on attempting it. Less than 24 hours after my despondency over having no-one to do my challenge with, the event was back on! I had initially planned to do the challenge in mid May, but due to covid restrictions still in place in Scotland, which prevented overnight stays until a couple of weeks later, the date of the challenge was changed to the weekend of 4-6th June 2021. As it turns out there was horrendous rain throughout the duration of May so I am pleased that fate stepped in to push our attempt to more amenable climes!

The plan was for Charlotte and I to drive 5 hours from our home in Northumberland up to Fort William, where we would stay overnight on the Friday in a hostel at the base of Ben Nevis. Charlotte took charge of the wheels, and we had a good drive up. The journey was pretty much traffic free, some rain but mostly sunny. We stopped off at Glen Etive which is south of Fort William and where Skyfall was filmed. Sadly for Charlotte there was no Daniel Craig, just me shrieking my elegant way into the pool. I got nibbled by a fish! The cheeky little thing actually came over and chomped my thigh! It was only about 6 mm big but still...scream. I also realised that if you drink a gallon of vitamin water (to zap the cold sore away and revive me) then have a wild wee in a will come out a spectacular nuclear colour. Not only have you just learnt this fact, but so did all the other people in the Glen when I bellowed the information to a hysterical Charlotte. Never a dull moment...

That night we ate at a local restaurant, me on the haggis since I was in Scotland, but perhaps not the recommended nutrition for the night before a big event! Charlotte had brought with her Kate’s Cakes – her mum, Kate, is an exceptional baker and cook, and had promised to provide us with cake to boost us on our trip. We each had some of the lemon cake, both saving chocolate brownie for the summit. It turns out that eating a rich chocolate brownie when out in the wilds isn’t perhaps the best of ideas when you have a stoma…. - Video 1 - the night before we start

Neither of us had particularly great sleep on the Friday night, the hostel busy with walkers coming back and forwards all the time. It didn’t help that one group parked their mini bus under our window, and left the engine running while they shouted at each other for what felt like ages. Realistically, we were never really going to get much sleep, so when the alarm went off at 4:10am on the Saturday neither of us were feeling too fresh!


Peak One - Ben Nevis 1/3

4.5 hours total

9 miles


After a disrupted nights sleep we were up and off just after 5am, the midges biting with no wind in the air. I managed to get locked out of the hostel and eventually managed to alert Charlotte with LOUD whispers (why do we do this?) to let me in again. I had put on a fresh stoma bag the night before, and made sure it was empty before we set off. Usually, I need to make sure I eat about an hour before I head out of the door, just to make sure all my food has gone through properly, but as the kitchen was closed we couldn’t get hot water for porridge. Instead, I had a peanut butter and jam sandwich – nuts can cause me wind issues sometimes, but beggars can’t be choosers, I needed energy more than anything else. Off we went!

We made good progress, very few people around, mainly gazelles/mountain goats who sprinted past us but also two men carrying their mountain bikes. How to make you feel inadequate. One commented as we passed (thinking we were out of ear shot) “well you’ll go faster now you’ve got those legs to follow”…wonder whose legs they were talking about? The giraffe or duck.. On returning home I later read an article about a boy who climbed the 3 peaks in 24 hours at the ridiculously tender age of…three. Imagine being overtaken by a 3 year old! Always reminds me of the time my friend ran the Great North Run, and who was overtaken by a man wearing a shark suit who couldn’t move his legs above the knee. Another friend regaled me with the tale that she had climbed Ben Nevis a few years ago, only to be surprised by a group of nuns in habits racing up to the top. A stag do or a religious pilgrimage….? So funny!

My stoma behaved itself although I did have to stop and let the air out on the way up. The problem with eating nuts and chocolate for energy, my go-to treats, is that they can give me wind and activate my stoma. This can be very frustrating! But I always figure that if the worse comes to the worse I can empty my bag into a waste bag (like a doggy poo bag) and carry on. I am glad we set off when we did though, as it was busy on the way down, without much coverage for a sneaky bag empty.

Everyone we met was really friendly – there is always good camaraderie on these mountains. We met one couple making their way down, a large lady unsteady on her feet and using the walking poles as crutches. Nothing wrong with that…but it turns out that they had taken so long to get up they had to sleep overnight on the mountain. Mountain Rescue quite rightly pointed out that since they could actually walk it was their own fault for not being prepared. So many people treat MR as a taxi when they get tired. The guy said it was snowy at the top so he hoped we had warm clothes - “oh yes, I have my emergency bivvy bag and all sorts of layers”. “Ah, I didn’t bother with anything like that as I didn’t think I’d be out long”. Therein lies the problem fella….always be prepared!!!

Nevertheless, we made it up to within 10 minutes of the summit where we hit the snow and mist. We could clearly see where people had walked ahead of us to the right, but there were also footsteps heading to the left. Before I got my compass out to check the co-ordinates, we saw some men coming down to our right – they confirmed it was the correct direction. The mist lifted momentarily, to reveal a dramatic drop down a snowy cliff to the left…

A bit of slipping and swearing before we summited in 2.5 hours. And yes mountain purists, we took the tourist path - we’re taking all the easy navigation routes to get up and down as fast as possible. Here we had Kate’s brownies GET IN. There is a little hut at the top where you can take shelter in the event of a storm. We had a little peep in but since it wasn’t stormy we didn’t much fancy crawling inside what may also have been used as a toilet….

At the trig point we saw the two men with their bikes – at least we beat them to the top! I am still not really sure why they carried them all the way to the top – the path was so busy coming down I can’t imagine that they were able to do much zippy racing! - Ben Nevis summit

Down we ran, literally, with one man commenting that Charlotte had the most beautiful smile. Me? A guy accidentally bumped into me and called me “fella”. I told him “don’t worry it’s fine, Sarah”. Oh what fun on the mountain side. We also saw a couple of blokes with their rave music blasting out of their backpack and the biggest spliff in the world behind each ear. Good luck to them…if I’d had that at the top I’d still be asleep now.

Next stop…Cumbria!


Scafell Pike peak 2/3

Summit in 1.5 hours

Total time 2.55 hours